CASE Construction completed the Beach Care Project in Ivory Coast using the King of Construction, the #570T along with raising awareness on plastic waste among the local community.
After the previous stages in the Mediterranean coastal areas of Italy, France and Spain, and at Thorney Bay Beach on Canvey Island, England, the initiative has reached the Ivory Coast, more precisely Assouinde Beach and Assinie Beach.
The Beach Care Project aims to raise awareness of the need for an eco-friendly management of the beach ecosystem along with an attempt at cleaning beaches.
Cleaning operations were carried out at Assouinde Beach and Assinie Beach along with local volunteers who were mainly families and primary school children. The project was carried out with local authorities along with other scientific research bodies and NGO’s.
Beaches are an extremely important environmental and social resource capable of creating a positive impact on a country’s tourist industry and economy in general.
The project combines research and education with collective actions. Initially, it was developed in collaboration with the Italian Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (CNR, National Council of Research), the French Comité National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS, National Committee of Scientific Research), and the Spanish Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC, High Council for Scientific Investigations). The project was later implemented in schools across Europe with educational kits and lessons on the safeguard of the environment, reaching over 10,000 children.
In the Ivory Coast, Beach Care Project involved families and primary school children for one week with activities on beaches addressing the protection of the environment in order to raise awareness among local populations in regard of the fight against the proliferation of waste, in particular plastic waste. All of this was in collaboration with the NGO JAH LIVE.
As many as 280 tons of plastic waste are produced in the Ivory Coast every day. Only 10 percent of such quantity is recycled, while the remaining 90% is buried in local landfills or released into the natural environment, which constitutes a true hazard to the health of local populations and a threat to the environment.
Beach Care Project is a three-year project of CNH Industrial with its brands CASE Construction Equipment.